Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thanksgiving Weekend

It's almost over but it's been good. Not the same as being home in Michigan in the cold, visiting friends, watching the Fantasy of Lights parade, but it's been a nice weekend.

Wednesday we got out of work early, before 2pm which was great (the kids leave at 1pm on Wednesdays normall anyway) so Ang and I went out to lunch (we are calling it lunch because if we call it dinner at 4pm Ang insists were worse than the snowbirds). Then we went downtown and to the mall Christmas shopping. It was great, there was no one around and there were a lot of the same sales we saw Friday when we went back (yes, I know, a lot of shopping but mostly browsing, what else is there to do on Black Friday?!?!).

We also saw the movie "Dan in Real Life" which was great. We snuck pumpkin ice cream in from Coldstone and laughed and cried and enjoyed ourselves. A great movie - really, it's nonviolent, there's no swearing that I can recall, and no sex, just a good family movie! I give it an A+ (and so did EW and a lot of other critics, which is awesome).

Thursday we had Thanksgiving with our friends the Phelps and some British folks they know who are stationed here with the British Royal Army and their parents. It was quite the group. We ate good food, drank good wine, played apples to apples for over four hours, laughed at the kids (ages 3, 1.5, and 1) and just enjoyed the day.

Friday Ang and I made a quick trip to Mexico (under an hour, in and out) for vanilla that was being requested from up north and then hit the mall. And promptly left the mall. We didn't have a problem finding a parking spot at Kohl's but when we got inside (we were just looking for the $2.99 bath towel sale for Ang) the check out line was literally all around the store. Insanity!!! But we did get a few gifts at Target (surprisingly, not at all busy) and Sam's and then headed home to rest and shower before heading out Friday night with the girls, Julie and Christina. And guess where we went for Girls' Night? Yep, right back to the mall! Ah well, such is Black Friday!

Oh, and we also decorated for Christmas. Ang made the executive decision that we would not have a tree which is fine, I understand. But I also miss getting all Christmasy. So I put up our decorations anyway. And bought a super smelly vanilla candle and have been lighting candles all around the house every night and playing my new Charlie Brown Christmas music. (Yes, we have to open the windows because it's so hot but the cool breeze helps me think of snow).
Check it out:

2 comments:

brickmomma said...

My mom really liked that movie too...maybe i'll get to check it out. We are about to start decorating!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm skeptical of these decorations. Also, I loved Dan in Real Life too!! One of the best I've seen in a while. I saw August Rush the other day. That was awesome too!