Monday, June 09, 2008

The big envelope

It's what every college applicant waits anxiously for. Mine just came a month or two late. Yes, I was accepted into Cal State Northridge's Masters of Screenwriting program. And yes, today I sent them my own rejection letter. I'm going to be a UCLA Bruin (a bear), not a CSUN Matador. But it still feels nice to be accepted, and to do the rejecting this time around.

I am excited about grad school, I really am. I'm excited to write more, to be forced to write (yes, even though I LOVE writing, I still need that external motivation of a deadline), and to learn more about this craft. My kids ask me every day where I'm going and I explain, every day, I'm moving to Los Angeles to try and become a screenwriter. Today they drew pictures of me on the board, directing. One even had me yelling, "Cut, cut, she's dead!" with an actress lying near me (with a megaphone). Yes, I'm trying to bottle their creativity to take with me. They began asking for my autograph today, which I happily supplied, and asking me to put them in my movies. I tell them I will try my best, not having the energy or desire to break their little hearts already by explaining that it will be unlikely that I will ever be in that particular position. Ah, to be young and innocent!

Also, for those of you following my writing career that's been flourishing here in my bedroom/office, I think I'm going to rewrite my screenplay with the lead being an older woman. Yes, I know! Big change! But it came to me last night as I lay in bed (I work really well late at night, my mind never shuts down) and I am excited by this prospect. BUT I WILL FINISH THE NOVEL FIRST! I promise myself that. Big things are in store for my five deployment "widows".

Okay, enough writing about writing, I think I'll get a few paragraphs in before I get lazy and head off to watch John Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Nation, good things are ahead! And I think it all starts with a big envelope.

2 comments:

Justin said...

I'm excited for you Sarah! Jamee mentioned coming to visit you and Angela in LA sometime, and I promptly invited myself along. You know how I am about that :)

Yay, anyway...I need you to re-email your book. I got through a decent chunk of it, got busy and forgot about it....then my computer crashed last weekend and I lost EVERYTHING. :(

brickmomma said...

Congrats!!

You are so incredible. I envy your motivation, creativity and brain power!!!

I want your john hancock, too....