Tuesday, June 17, 2008

We made it!

Whew - it has been a day and it's only the afternoon (well, after 5 but I have no idea what time zone I'm feeling right now). Angela and I made it to Chicago, our plane was even half an hour early! Which was amazing considering how things had gone all day.

Our AWESOME friend Linda picked us up very early (especially since she's on vacation too, thank you again Linda), at 5:55am, and we were at the airport in Yuma by 6:15. Plenty of time for our 7am flight (in Yuma, the airport doesn't even open 2 hours before the first flight so those airline recommendations don't mean much) except that our flight didn't take off at 7am. We still aren't sure what happened but they ended up running two shuttles to Phoenix and we got on the 7:30, which wasn't bad since it was a jet and it took only 25 minutes to get us there and when we left the 7:00 flight was still waiting for clearance to take off. Crazy. However, we had to wait in Phoenix on the ground, of course, and we got off the plane 8 minutes before our flight to Chicago was to take off. We know the rule about being on board 15 minutes prior to take off but we decided to run through the airport anyway. We had planned to look for the golf cart shuttle but seeing none, and since we had our tennis shoes on, we literally ran, bags and all. And we got to our gate 3 minutes before take off. Thankfully the nice people working the check in opened the door for us, and several others, and let us on! WOO HOO!

Can I just say that while our flight attendant from Yuma to Phoenix had diarrhea of the mouth (she started talking to a woman about how much her job/the airline sucks and didn't quit until after we landed), the staff on the Chicago flight was awesome. They were so nice and helpful, it really was a pleasant experience.

So we made it, and all our luggage made it, and we took a $40 cab ride to our hotel blocks from the Diamond Headache Clinic so Ang is all set to get to her appointment in the morning. My parents are driving over now and should be here in a few hours. Just in time for us to eat again. The first thing we did after checking into our room was run over to Chipolte for food but that will not be enough for the night (I announced to Ang that travel days are points-optional days, I'm eating healthy but by golly if I'm hungry, I'm eating!). Then we went to Borders where I found the book, Meg Cabot's Queen of Babble in the Big City, I've been waiting for and now I'm going to read. (Yes, I have 3 other books in my luggage but I'm still going to read this chick lit novel first! John Grisham can wait a few more days.) Ang is asleep, her sinus/ear infection has worn her out and she has a bit of a migraine from traveling.

Alright, that's it from the Windy City for now. Yes, it is in fact windy, we had a lot of turbulence coming in, so much so that I felt queasy. Oh, and a tip to those of you flying US Airways in the future. They are no longer serving snacks of any kind, that's right no more peanuts or even that oh so not good soy snack, and as of August 1st they will be charging $2 for beverages. Any beverage, including water. Gotta love flying the friendly skies.

2 comments:

brickmomma said...

glad you made it to my favorite vacation city!

i am having some headaches and am wondering if it is a hormone withdrawal thing? anyway....

i am heading to bed with ym new bible study.....love you SO! and your sis and ma and pa!

Justin said...

If I remember right, we had an hour or so layover in the Chicago Airport (Midway, I think it is) last summer when my family went to New York. It's a nice airport...and there was a really good pizza place in it.

Random.

Anyway, enjoy Chicago! After DC, there's no city I'd like to visit more!