Thursday, January 01, 2009

The whole thing

In 2008 I took on a challenge - to read the entire Bible in one year. It seemed daunting. I'd never read the entire Bible, a lot of parts of it but not the whole thing and certainly not at once. So when the church here in Howell took on the project I joined up. And it was a long year.

At first it went well - less than fifteen minutes a day and I was done. But then I'd get a day or two or four behind and I'd have to spend an hour catching up. Okay, do-able. But then summer came and moving and starting school again and suddenly I was a month and a half behind. But I was determined. And guess what? On December 30th I finished. I finished the whole thing.

Each day's reading included a passage from both the Old and New Testament and from the Psalms and Proverbs. The last reading of the year ended on Proverbs 31:25-31 and I smiled as I read the last three verses:

"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive,
and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give
her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city
gate.

I like that I got to end the year with a sense of accomplishment and a sense of encouragement. A woman who fears the Lord is to be praised - I think this is true for all of us who try to follow God's word and His heart. Who try to love and just want to be loved in return. I also like the part telling that her works will bring her praise. I try to live my life as a Christian primarily through works. I know that words can be hollow and fall on deaf ears and I know that a good deed or an outstretched hand or assistance when least expected can mean so much more.

This year I will not read the Bible again, I think I need some time to reflect and I'm going to pick up one of my old daily devotionals again, but I do think I'll keep that proverb with me - and the rest of the teachings and stories I've spent the past 365 days reading.

1 comment:

brickmomma said...

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!

Our church is starting it this year, with lessons on WEds nights to discuss. I will try again :(

Love you so-