Monday, September 17, 2012

The bedroom saga


Last year for my birthday my parents bought me a wonderful present -- a queen size mattress and box springs. The bed came with a frame. They bought me sheets and a new blanket, I got a comforter set from a friend, I finally got to use the quilts that my mom and my aunt had made me and things were good. Great.

Me in my 2011 birthday present! Love it!
I spend a lot of time in my bedroom, more time that the average person would be my guess. See, I sleep here. Usually between six and seven hours a night. I usually read for a little bit before I fall asleep so that's another thirty minutes to an hour. Then I get up and take two steps and sit down at my desk, in my bedroom. Voila! Home office! All in all, I'd guess I spend anywhere from fifteen to eighteen hours a day in my room most days. So what goes on in here is important and little sneaks by me.

That said, a month ago the ants invaded again. This time, not in the kitchen as they had done a few weeks prior. This time? They set up camp, no, they set up their metropolis, in my bedroom. Thousands of ants in their little organized ant roads running up and down the walls, in the corners, along the baseboards, even behind the bed. (I didn't sleep in here at all during the invasion, I'm thankful for a comfy couch.)

So, it was when we moved my bed to examine the ant problem that we found the mold. Again. We dealt with mold two years ago (dealt is a strong word but I won't outline my issues with our landlords here) and now it was back, on another wall. Long story short, last Wednesday contractors came to replace two walls.

The mold on one wall
It took about six hours, not counting the several hours the night before Angela and I had spent putting up plastic on the doors and closets to protect my stuff and the rest of the house from the mess. That and moving everything but my desk out into the living room. Alas, it is finished. And we're hoping (fingers crossed, everyone!) that the mold is gone like they promise us it is!


So before I put my room back together Angela and I went shopping for a new bedframe and headboard for my birthday present this year from my parents (they are awesome!). The old, free frame had plastic wheels that busted when we attempted to move it and I wanted something sturdier. We lucked on to a great frame the first store we went to (the same store we got our couch and two living room chairs from, love Cort!). And here it is -- new headboard, frame and bedskirt. And it only took two trips to the hardware and about four hours to assemble it all! (Whew!)

My 2012 birthday present - the headboard and frame! Love it!
I love it! My room is pulled together now with the gorgeous antique end tables that were my great grandma's and if I can get all the pictures back on the wall, we'll be golden! I'm one lucky girl!






1 comment:

Writer Monkey said...

Love it! A new mattress can change your life. When I got my new mattress, I was 5 months pregnant and it was like heaven. I swear I went to bed early just to get cozy in my new bed. It is just a happy feeling to be cozy.