Saturday, February 01, 2014

Amazing art

Yesterday I walked over to Angela's school at her request. Sometimes I pop into the school a lot. I've been known to clean half the classrooms there (this is an exaggeration but it's not much of one, every time she moves into a new classroom we clean, deep clean, and she moves a lot - well she did, until this year thank goodness). Sometimes I'm absent for long periods of time. I haven't been over much this school year as she has no prep. She teaches straight through from beginning to end with a 25 minute lunch break. So there's no time to walk with me to get a coffee or sit on the bench out front after I get done with Homeless Lunch. Alas, I've not spent as much time with these students as I have in the past.

And yet? 

They didn't forget me. I went on a field trip with them back at the beginning of the school year - to see the Space Shuttle. And on Friday I was greeted by name by almost every child. They were giddy to see me, to talk to me, to ask me questions. Mind you, I was only there an hour. An hour during which I supervised an art project to give Ms. Knapp a second pair of hands. An hour during which I noted several things. One, these are kids. For all their foul language and anger and laziness and refusal to share what they learn, they're kids. Little kids. Eleven, twelve years old. They ask tenderly for an extra sheet of paper. They get frustrated when their crayon breaks. They ask questions that seem so simple and sweet. What color is your house, Ms. Knapp? Why do you sound like the other Ms. Knapp? 

And two? Kids are amazing. Just look at the artwork above. Their learning how to "graffiti" their names or words. They're coloring bricks (rubbings made on actual bricks against the school). They're putting time and effort into their projects. They're so proud to show off what they've done, even when they're shy about it. And I love that. 

Today Angela and I flipped through some old scrapbooks. I came across my photos from my old classroom in Yuma and my heart sung, sadly at times. I miss those kids, those four walls, that time we spent together. And I'm so grateful when I get to spend an hour or two with Ang's kids nowadays. Kids are amazing. All of them.

No comments: