Wednesday, July 25, 2007

No Spoilers Here...Just Wonder

I have just literally, seconds ago, finished the final Harry Potter book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I won't tell you how it ended, in case you're still reading or want to someday, because I know what it is to have the ending to a book spoiled. And I also know what it is to savor it as well. That's what I got to do today.

I have been indulging for the past few days, enjoying stolen hours throughout the day, spending my time in the land of wizards and witches. And as the ending of the book neared, I thought about how much I love books. How much I love a good story, that you know has to end, so you have closure, but that you so do not want to end because it will mean friends you met along the way, lives you've been privy to, a world you've gotten to be a part of, is over. And that's how I felt today. I didn't want Harry Potter to end but I wanted to know the ending.

And I do now, I know the ending, and I also know that because of the seven glorious books J.K. Rowling has written, I have been entertained, and I will continue to be entertained for years to come. I can't wait to go back and reread the series and visit old friends and familiar places and smile over jokes I've heard before. It's the wonder of stories. The true wonder.

Note: If you've finished the last Harry Potter book, check out this interview with J.K. Rowling to find out a little more of the story...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

1 comment:

The World through Angel's Eyes said...

I love a good book! You captured the feeling of reading one to a T. I look forward to the day that you can share the worlds of others with readers.