Thursday, January 10, 2008

I can't sleep...

It's 11:30 and I am wide awake. Which was not the case two hours ago when I fell asleep watching "A Daily Show" (I love that they renamed "The Daily Show" until the writers' strike is over - which for the record, will not be anytime soon). I fell asleep hard, after getting home close to 7, making dinner and watching "Grey's". It was a long day and I know I am exhausted but my mind won't shut down. So I now for a little while it's not worth lying there beating myself up about it.

We had a bit of excitement here today - I ran home to change for the gym and Ang went to the mailbox and she called and told me I had a letter from Cal State Northridge that said "Important Admission Information Enclosed". So we met in the parking lot and I tore open the envelope only to find a username and password to track my application online. But I also received my first email from UCLA today telling my they've received my completed application packet (which is good since it was mailed over a month ago), so I guess we still just have to wait and see. Fingers and toes crossed!

School is crazy right now. We're in the middle of the Mock AIMS which is supposedly helpful to us teachers - letting us know what our kids don't know so we can prepare them for the real AIMS in April. But it's been disorganized and quickly thrown together and I don't know, just insane. I was running around the school this morning - literally running - trying to find supplies and extra tests for my teammates. Just one of the perks of being team leader someone forgot to mention.

But the day had bright sides. I had a parent meeting where both parents showed up (score!) and over and over again said they were backing us, the teachers. They got their kid to admit his bad behavior and problems and I am hoping for some real progress. It's so nice to have parents who don't blame us, the teachers, for their kid's misbehavior or low grades. So that was a great way to end the school day.

Then I ended up staying after school with Ang and her two boys who are staying for extra help on a regular basis. We're becoming friends: I feed them granola bars, they laugh at my jokes, I help them with their tests. It's great to get one-on-one time with kids, it reminds me of what it is we're really doing inside those walls. It's very cool to interact and see them learn. Today one of the boys learned what the word concerned meant. Ang used it in a sentence directed toward him and he said it was cool she used such a big word. When asked, he didn't know what it meant and he's a 14 year old 8th grader. But we practiced using it and I think he'll remember it which is pretty cool. Such a small step but an important one.

I think I'll try sleep again. I have to get up in just over 5 hours and I know that will not be pleasant. Nothing like a 10-hour workday, an hour and a half at the gym, and some good TV to kick the day. I just wish sometimes we could squeak a few extra hours in there.

No comments: