Monday, January 21, 2008

A weekend of movies

That's right! On this, my three day weekend I saw 4 movies! So here's a little bit of a review for those who care.

Friday night we watched Sicko - Michael Moore's documentary about the United State's healthcare problems. It was heart-wrenching and terrifying and yet, funny and somewhat upbeat. I think everyone should watch this movie if for no other reason than to spark conversation and debate. And to help Angela raise money to move to France (she's been lobbying for Cuba but I told her she's probably better off trying for France but you never know!).

Saturday we caught a matinee of 27 Dresses, the new romantic comedy with Katherine Hiegel and James Marsden. I had heard not so great reviews of this movie but thought it looked cute so we gave it a shot. Low and behold, it had a great plot, great dialogue, and great acting. Really, a fun way to spend an few hours!

Then we watched two movies Saturday night - We are Marshall and The Ex. The Ex was okay. I love love love Zach Braff and Jason Bateman. But it was only a so-so movie and I was glad I only Netflixed it. But We are Marshall, that was an amazing film. I remember wanting to see this when it came out in theaters and never getting the chance but let me tell you, it had me crying from the beginning, gave me chills, a few laughs, and left me satisfied. What a great story, such great acting from the cheerleader to the coaches and wives, and players. And it was very cool to see the backstories at the end. A must see in my book!

Not a lot else happened this weekend. There was grocery shopping and scrapbooking and catching up on some reading and online scrabble playing and some cooking and baking. Also, I've decided to vote for any candidate who promises mandatory three-day weekends. I think they are essential to our human condition!

1 comment:

brickmomma said...

I loved We are Marshall. john and I actually saw it in the theater, wierd! I bought him a documnetary called Marshall for Christmas, but we haven't watched it yet.

We saw Charlie WIlson's War. I liked it, but John had to explain some of the political stuff to me. John's parents were in Pakistan when he went over and John's mom also knew some people from his office, so that is cool.

Love you~