Saturday, May 24, 2008

Crazy weather but I love it!



UPDATE: Angela and I just got back from Mexico where we had a great lunch with our friend Gume. He's the waiter at the restaurant in the middle of the square we always eat at. He's always our waiter, not sure how that happens but today he was in rare form. When we left Gume stood on the chair to shake our hands, yes, we're giants, we know. Also, Ang was not impressed because today the refried beans had red peppers in them. I, however, enjoyed it because I got to eat her beans in addition to mine! Yay for me!

After lunch we visited our friends who sell pottery in the alley. They are excited because they just moved next door to a new building (I guess it's a building, it has walls and a ceiling but no floor or door). The wife gave us a great deal on a bowl and a gift. I got a fluted bowl to match my little salsa bowls (see above), I think it's big enough for chips. So who's coming over for dinner?!?!

After we said goodbye to the pottery family (not their real name), we wandered down the streets in search of the giant circular pink and turquoise wall hanging Angela remembered from last year and wanted for our move. We finally found the marketplace (we didn't find it last time so this in itself was a feat) but sadly, no wall hanging. But it's possible she made it better and better in her mind and the ones we saw just couldn't live up to the memory. There was a pushy shopkeeper there so we moved on. We wandered by a Mexican park and got some looks as we're queras (white girls) and we had veered off the beaten track. But the locals had some great smelling taco trucks and it was cool (low 70s) so everyone was out and about and it was just a nice day to walk.

Before we hit "the line" we stopped at the infamous purple pharmacy (they make their own commercials that are just terrible but ABC shows them anyway). We picked up vanilla for mom and us and of course, I got a liter of coca light. I love my coca light!

It took us just 25 minutes to cross the border today, not bad at all considering we've waited up to four hours before. We had our passports today and they swiped them and let us through with barely a glance. Guess queras are not dangerous looking. At least not these two.

So yep, three hours and five dollars to park and we are back in the good old US of A.

I don't think it can get any better than this. Last night we slept with the windows open. Yes, in Yuma, Arizona. In late May. I KNOW! It's crazy. Average highs are usually in the upper 90s to 110 degrees right now, not low 60s. It rained yesterday, actually pourred, several times. There was a mud slide out on one of the major roads it rained so much - a whole 0.03 inches. I know, it's not Michigan.

The weather's on schedule to return to normal by Tuesday but right now it's gorgeous here. Oh yeah, and it's been snowing in Flagstaff. Crazy I tell ya!

Right this very moment life is good. I am excited about the move and school and most of all Los Angeles. I'm very excited to be going home to Michigan in 23 days to see everyone. And we only have 13 days of school left. I just might make it.

Not sure what we're going to do this weekend. We might go to Algodones, Mexico today because of the cool weather. We've been wanting to go just to look around, especially at the pottery and usually it's unbearably hot by the time we head back to get in line at the border. Other than that I'm just going to enjoy these next three days, you should do the same!

No comments: