Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Mom




My mom is amazing and I cannot imagine having grown up with anyone else but here helping me to become the person I am today. I know God has a plan for everyone and everything and I am so blessed that my plan included Christina Ann MacDonald Knapp giving birth to me.

My mom likes to remind people that she was "the meanest mom on the block" (I am pretty sure I never uttered those words - that's all her) and you know what, she was and she wasn't. She was mean if you consider mean to be someone who has expectations she expects you to follow at all times. She taught me to be strong, to be fair, and most of all, to be loving.

Here's a woman who went to work simply so her children could have the things she didn't. She walked to work so we could save money to go on a vacation. She made homemade dinners and took us to the library and impressed upon me the importance of helping everyone.

She's amazing. She gives 110% at work and then comes home and starts her day all over again. She cooks for people who need food, she takes care of my five grandparents, she loves baseball and hockey and will listen to me every time I call to complain or cry. She makes homemade strawberry jam and loves camping. She taught me it's okay to stay in your nightgown until after noon. She reads every single piece of the newspaper. She has given me everything I've ever needed and more. But most of all she's given me her love. She's taught me to be independent and smart and careful. She's taught me to live by a budget but to live the life I want. She's taught me to care for others but also for myself. And everyday, she continues to be this amazing example of a Christian woman I am so grateful to have had in my life for thirty years.

Thank you mom. I love you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You brought tears to my eyes.
Thank you for being you. We are far apart in distance but oh so close together. Love and Hugs
MOM

brickmomma said...

I can second the jam!!

What a wonderful woman, I am thankful to call her Aunt.

I love you both~

Justin said...

Mom's are freakishly awesome.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! What a wonderful tribute to your Mom. I agree with everything. She is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. I am so glad you share her.

Julia