Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Parents Just Don't Understand

I know, I know, I am not a parent. I don't claim to be nor do I claim to know anything about raising a child to the age of thirteen. However, I do know something about seventh graders as I have spent a good chunk of my life with them for the past two years. And I know a thing or two about how seventh graders think, and how public schools run. And if you are a parent, I beg you to consider that not all seventh graders are perfect angels and that it might not be the teacher's fault when your kid screws up.

Yeah, today was one of those days. I wanted to take a personal day. I wanted to be home writing my novel and walking with my iPod on and making a healthy dinner but no, I went to work. I went to work because I am a good employee and I knew there would not be enough substitute teachers today. Surprise! I was right.

And during the course of my day I had two sets of parents show up at the school demanding to see me and my team of teachers. Now, please, parents, think this through if you ever want to talk to a teacher. Guess what we are doing in the middle of the day...TEACHING YOU CHILD. Yep, yep, we can't just sneak out for a meeting. And certainly not six teachers at once.

One mom rescheduled until Friday. It doesn't help that she doesn't speak English so I couldn't talk to her while she was standing there in the office, I've called home three times for her daughter who's failing, and this morning her precious one told me she doesn't know why she hasn't turned in her poetry book. She just doesn't care. Yeah. Did I mention we turn grades in on Monday? As in five days from now? Yeah. Good time to call for a meeting with your kid's teachers. Eleven days before the end of the school year.

The other parents refused to leave until we met with them. So they waited, over an hour. And on our prep my team met with them. And told them the same thing we've told them at several other meetings: we don't know what to do either. You kid is smart, very smart. But he's a kid, an immature, little kid. Seriously folks, I can only do so much, I cannot parent your child as well.

From my short tenure in the classroom I've seen a lot of parents who seem very unequipped to do their job, to parent a teenager. And it's sad. A lot of them are younger than me, and I KNOW I couldn't do it. That's why I don't have a teenager.

So yeah, it was a long day. A day capped off by a grading session during which I discovered one of my students had plagiarized poems in her book. Yeah, Chris Brown doesn't get by me, no seventh grader writes poems that sound like multi-platinum hit songs. Thank goodness for google.

3 comments:

Justin said...

I really would like to be a teacher...it wouldn't be a bad career. Except. for. the. parents.

My mom works at the highschool that I went to and she's told me some stories that just make me shake my head in disbelief.

Why parents will believe a 12 year old kid over a grown, mature teacher just blows my mind.

Part of me would like to be a teacher just to see how I'd react to some of these parents.

Anonymous said...

I honestly laughed out loud when I got to the Chris Brown part. That is priceless. My mom had a parent argue with the staff that her daughter was selling her vicodin. Well considering it was still in the original prescription bottle, it's kind of a giveaway. Oh yeah and she got caught selling it. "Not my daughter!" *Gasp* If you do teach again maybe you should teach orphans. :) See you soon. --Sus

The World through Angel's Eyes said...

oh my gosh! this is hillarious. I'm so glad you are going to be a famous writer-we'll have to compile our teaching stories in to a memoir. The part about Chris Brown was great-I was laughing out loud. Hang in there...it's almost summer, summer, summer time (you should be hearing Will Smith here). Love you!