Thursday, July 17, 2008

And to add insult to injury...

It wasn't enough that I was crabby yesterday. We went out to get dinner and then decided to go look at laptops. Mine is dying, and I am finally resigned to the fact that I need a new one. This is fantastic since I still owe over a grand on it. But the video card won't let me play movies on netflix.com (I know, the tragedy!), it takes ten plus minutes to boot up, yesterday I couldn't get into my hotmail because Internet Explorer just wouldn't open, and the I was using itunes to listen to music and shut it down and yet Eminem still blasted from my computer. No, itunes was not on, but the music still was. I have no idea.

So I am looking at laptops and they have this really good deal on a new one, one I'd looked at online and was interested in and shock! they don't have it in stock. So I moved on to look at another and BAM! ran my foot into the lovely metal computer stand. And yes, my big toe nail broke off completely, taking a big chunk of skin with it. FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC.

We browsed a little more, stood still a while longer, and then left the store. Not ready to go home yet, Ang pulled the first aid kit from the trunk. My dad had given it to her when she'd moved and she was just a little excited to use it for the first time, hoping this was practice for her new career as a bounty hunter (yes, she's reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels nonstop right now and yes Mom, she'll get a gun first).

And can I just say this first aid kit will come in handy for her new career?!?! Not only were there band-aids but also abdominal pads, surgical scissors, etc. We wrapped my toe, I wiped my tears, and we moved on to Circuit City.

So yes, that was an exciting adventure. Also, good news - I now get to sock away the $24 I was going to spend on a pedicure today. I think it'll be a few months before I get another one of those, seeing how my toe has raw flesh when the nail used to be. Lovely. Let's hope the day improves, I'll let you know when I get out of bed!

3 comments:

Never Settle said...

I hope your toe feels better soon. :(

Justin said...

I'm not sure how well you know your computers...but here are some random thoughts:

First, how old is your current laptop? It might be a good idea to try restoring it to factory settings and see if it works any better. If you do, be sure to back up all of your files to CDs.

If you decide you need a new one...I'd recommend getting one with at least 2 Gigabytes of RAM...preferably 3. RAM is probably the most important thing for Computer speed.

Avoid the Emachines brand...I don't know whether they make laptops, but their desktops are very low quality.

Also, when you buy it, DO NOT sign up for virus protection or anything like that. There are better programs on the internet that you can get free.

Warranty is a good idea.

Good brands are Compaq, HP, Dell, Sony...

brickmomma said...

you are funny!