Tuesday, November 04, 2008

8 years comin'

I've been wearing my Obama '08 shirt all over town. And I've been so enjoying the conversations with friends and family about voting and change in general. I think it's so cool that our country comes together, even when ideals separate us, on one day, to celebrate democracy. No matter how differently we may all believe, we all want to make a difference, we all want our voices heard.

I love that some of her family got to vote for the first time today, in their first presidential election, and that they were excited about it. I love that people all over the country sent me texts and emails and messages to tell me they'd voted, and then that our guy won. I love that it's something we all get caught up in, especially tonight - it's like the Olympics in that way, it pulls us closer as a nation. And that's what I hope President Obama will do for us. I mean, just listen to his acceptance speech (I also love that he's an AWESOME public speaker. Seriously, it will no longer be painful to listen to the president speak, how about that!):

“If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.”
And the truth that he speaks, he says what I think so many of us are feeling right at this very moment:

“It’s been a long time coming. But tonight, because of what we did on this date, in this election, change has come to America.”

Change. It's been a long time comin', a very long time. And I can't wait to see what it looks like!

No comments: