Tuesday, November 11, 2008

So Help Me God

That's the title of my script. And for right now, that's all I'm going to tell you about it. It's not that I don't want to share, I do but right now it's in the mush stage. Like just this afternoon, there was a guy name Gerald in the movie. And tonight, as I sat in class, I decided that Gerald will be no longer. So yeah, that's why I can't tell you more about it. Soon, hopefully but not while the story's still a big pile of mush waiting for me to mold it into a movie script.

But anyway - tonight was my first table read. What that means is I had to take fifteen pages of my script to class, enough copies for everyone, and then the class read it. And can I just tell you how terrifying that was? Because my teacher was just like, here we go - assign parts, sit back and listen. So I did.

I don't really remember what happened for the first page or two. I think people were reading. I know that there's only one other girl in the class and so some of the other girl parts were read by boys. But by about page four I actually began to listen. I heard how they read the words and I started to hear IT. Yes, IT. LAUGHTER. They were chuckling and laughing in all the right places! Can I just tell you there is nothing, absolutely nothing, better in the world that I've ever heard than the sound of people laughing at what I've written. (And yes, before you ask, it's a comedy - well, a dark comedy, so the laughter was intentional!)

And when it was done they started talking. First my teacher, then my peers. They were full of suggestions and compliments and it was very cool to hear people discussing a story I'd come up with. Very cool.

And mine wasn't the only table read we had tonight - we read three other sets of pages and they were all amazing. I can't wait to see every single one of them on screen.

So here I go, back to the keyboard, to rewrite and write some more. Thirty pages are due in two weeks. And I'm going to get them done, so help me god!

5 comments:

Angela said...

I told you it was good!

Anonymous said...

Do I get to read it when I'm there? The read through of your first screenplay was so much fun. That was a good night. -Sus

Sarah Knapp said...

I remember that night - it was great! We used to have fun, didn't we:-)

brickmomma said...

too fun!!

Justin said...

how exciting! I always get nervous when people I'm not really really really close to read things Ive written...even if it's just a paper for class or something. Speaking of that, I've got something that I want you to read of mine, even if you won't let me read your screenplay. :-p