Monday, November 17, 2008

Tower Tour



Yesterday Ang and I wore our old clothes to church and did something few people have ever done. We climbed 140-some odd feet into the air above Highland street in Hollywood, up in the tower of Hollywood United Methodist Church.

And let me tell you, we didn't just climb. We were a little unsure as to why we had to sign these very official wavers before embarking on our tour but we soon found out. After going up a four or five flights of wooden stairs (staggered of course, weight distribution was very important to our guide, Richard Settle - who also took all the lovely photos you see here), we started in on metal stairs. We had to duck under pipes, hoist ourselves up through holes in the ceiling and climb these rungs on the wall that I was pretty sure I couldn't climb. But I did! Once we got up there, dirty as all get out, we had the chance to see the amazing view - all the way down Highland, all the way up the hills to the Hollywood sign, everywhere - it was amazing. And we got to hit the chimes with a rubber mallet (that's what I'm doing in the photo!). A very cool experience indeed!

2 comments:

brickmomma said...

I think I have nightmares about climbs like that!

Anonymous said...

What a cool thing to do. Run into any bats like we did in Howell?