Sunday, November 02, 2008

What I Know for Sure

Friday something happened that hasn't happened for me in months. I finished my To-Do List. I was so happy. Of course there are those big things still (edit my novel, write my screenplay, etc.) but I got everything else done. All the cards sent, emails answered, bills paid, calls made, etc. That meant that Saturday morning while Angela was gone to her National Board class I got to hang out. So I made myself a cup of tea, gave myself the whole day off from writing (something I haven't done in over two months) and curled up on the couch with two months' worth of Oprah magazines. I skimmed a lot, read a lot and then came upon the last page in the latest issue. It was an essay by Oprah about a question she'd been asked years before in an interview. She talked about then and now and made her list. The question was, "What do you know for sure?"

I've been thinking about this question for the past day. And I decided to make my own list.

What I know for sure
  1. I am loved. (I know I am a very lucky girl because I hear this many times a day. Whether it's from friends and family in person or online. I am so blessed to be surrounded by people in my life who love me and share their love. I really cannot tell you how much this gets me through the day.)
  2. I love to write. I like to play with words, write them, type them, anything, everything.
  3. Singing really loud in the car always makes me feel better.
  4. When I eat healthier I feel better.
  5. No matter how great the vacation was, it always feel good to get home.
  6. There is no such thing as a quick trip to the grocery store.
  7. Families are all different, and all a little crazy. Mine is not unique in that.
  8. Petting a cat means an immediate smile.
  9. I love school. I love learning new things and taking notes and being a student.
  10. People are going to hurt me. No matter how hard I try to protect myself, I can't 100% of the time. And that's just the way it is.
  11. I am going to heaven.
  12. I watch too much TV and I'm not afraid to admit it.
  13. Money is important in life. But so is being happy and doing what you feel you need to do.
  14. I am just getting started.
  15. No matter how old I get, Christmas morning still makes me feel like a little kid. I love that.
  16. I have no right to judge anyone. And while I still might, I'll keep trying really hard not to.
  17. My mom is the best cook in the world.
  18. Communication is the most important skill we have.
  19. My dad is the most patient person I know.
  20. I can do anything if I wake up in the morning and give it my all.
What do you know for sure?

2 comments:

Basil said...

What a great question to ask and and great list - thanks for sharing this Sarah!

brickmomma said...

i am working on my list....slowly...