Monday, September 18, 2006

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

They've done it again. Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme, writer/creator and director. Their new show, Studio 60, premiered tonight and, according to me, was an instant classic. Full of Sorkin's legendary speeches, quips, comebacks and snappy asides, not to mention Schlamme's walk and talks, and beautifully shot art, Studio 60 was true television brillance. And this coming for a writer who thinks a lot of what makes it onto the airwaves is crap. Pure, undiluted crap.
But this was good. It was pull you in, forget about everything else for 60 minutes, eyes glued, ears perked, good television.
So take my advice - check it out as it repeats this week on Bravo and then watch it. Fans of Sportsnight, The West Wing, and just plain great writing and fun filmmaking won't be sorry.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I so agree! I love the long tracking shots and the circular shots, and of course the snappy dialogue is what does it for me. The whole scene with Matthew Perry at the awards dinner was hilarious! And I loved it when Amanda Peet admitted she didn't know where her office was!