Sunday, August 17, 2008

Here we go

It's becoming very real. I reserved my dad a plane ticket today, for Tuesday, so he can come down and help us with the move. I reserved a U-Haul. I changed my address on all the stuff I could think to change it on. We're moving!

You know how when you talk about things for so long, sometimes they just fall aside, like you really don't believe it after awhile? That's how I was beginning to feel about moving to Los Angeles. Like it was a pipe dream, something so far away from my grasp I just couldn't see it anymore. And then it happened.

And while I'm excited, I'm sad too. Yesterday I had my last massage with Arcy, who has been more than a massage therapist to me these past two years, she's been a friend, someone who takes care of me, who cares for me. She's been trying to help me feel my best for the move and I feel pretty good now because of her, physically and mentally. We exchanged cards and gifts when we got ready to part yesterday and she said, "You have been a part of my life." And I knew exactly what she meant. It's not often, as we get older, that we have people in our lives who are actually a part of our lives. She's seen me more than my family, and my friends, in the past two years. She's listened, and talked, she's worried, and laughed, she's been there. And I'll miss that. But be so thankful to have had it.

Last night we also had a birthday BBQ for Ang. Our friends Kristina, Jake, their son Jayden, and our friend Linda all came. It was one of those nights that just comes together. Everyone brings something, we fall into our familiar rhythm, and we ate, swam, and talked. We have been a part of each others' lives for the past two years. It's taken some time, we've really congealed as a group in the past year, spending weekend nights hanging out, going to dinner, spending time with families, etc. It takes real effort and planning to have these relationships. And I'm going to miss them. More than I know how to express.

Today we went school shopping for Ang. She got some new clothes to wear, and we bought 800 pencils for $1.08! I know, Staples rocks! We got some other stuff for her classroom, and that helps it seem real too. Tomorrow the work begins, the final packing, the organizing, tackling the huge to-do list. And by Wednesday night, God-willing, we will be residents of Los Angeles, California! Here we go...

3 comments:

brickmomma said...

sweet goodbyes.........

Justin said...

One small step for the Knapp sisters, one giant leap for Knapp-kind.

Anonymous said...

It's bittersweet. Isn't it?

I wonder if Staples is having that deal for us out here. I stopped in at one on Saturday and got 3750 pieces of college lined paper for $2.39. Fantastic!

Safe travels. Love you.