Saturday, August 02, 2008

A summary

In the last post I said it had been a day. Now it's been a week. A week that's been half boring, I've caught up on all my Newsweeks and other assorted magazines, watched an entire season of Monk (yep - all 24 hour long episodes), walked around the mall in Yuma several times, walked down EVERY SINGLE aisle of Target several times, and started my very own country on Facebook. Yes, Yuma in the summer is boring. Especially without a job or much of anything to do or anyone to see.

But there have been upsides. Last night we went to dinner at our friend Linda's house and hung out all night with her and her cool kids. We had a spontaneous hanging out night with our friend Andrea when we went to get a toaster she was giving us. (I have never bought a toaster for the record, whenever I need one, someone seems to have one that needs a home.) I ordered my new MacBook from Apple Wednesday night and it's scheduled to be delivered Wednesday. (THANK YOU Mom and Dad!!!)

And downsides. My new Dell XPS laptop arrived in the mail last weekend and I went to set it all up this week and found out it was total crap, inside and out. So I got to spend several hours on the phone with various "customer service" reps, or rather hold musicians and then two plus hours standing at a counter at Best Buy. Let's just say that I won't be using that Best Buy rewards zone card I now have anytime soon. (Especially since it's now in the dumpster.) Tonight we came home and realized (about two hours in) that our air conditioner wasn't working. I was working out and just thought I was really getting my heart rate up but no, the AC was blowing hot air. Mind you, it is about 110 outside and now 91 inside. And of course we're living upstairs mostly because of the packing and heat always rises. We hung out downstairs for a few hours (me in the only chair, Ang on the floor) and then gave in and came back up to the fans and more comfortable seating. It's 10:30pm and the maintenance man just got here so hopefully in a few hours we'll be cooler. OOH - update: some little canister in our AC unit had blown out and now has been replaced so we're back in business!! YAY, in a few hours we should be cool again. Thank the Lord! There's been a heat advisory for our region all weekend and I can seriously see how some people get really sick in the heat. I'm doing nothing and sweating up a storm.

But I've been working on that patience thing too which is going pretty well. I am trying to make sure I am eating well, drinking enough water, and exercising. My goal is to make sure my body and my mind are a little more balanced. I realized this week that I have gained 35 pounds since moving to Yuma. I think it's all the kids I've had:-) Baby weight, right!?!?!? But I know I need to get that weight and some more back off. So to start, I'm going to walk 4 miles every day this week, yes even tonight at 6pm when I was starving and hot and the AC wasn't working (didn't know that at the time). Seven days of 4 miles each equals 28 miles, further than a marathon, I think that's a good start, and I'm using weights for at least 2 of the miles! Who wants to walk with me???

Okay, I'm off to watch some TV and then try to sleep. Being so warm at night reminds me of being a little kid back before we had AC at our house. It would be so warm and muggy and sometimes we'd get to sleep downstairs in the living room because it was cooler. I loved that!

1 comment:

brickmomma said...

I think our ac is busted, too. Didn't that just happen when you guys were here?

I started with the water today, too. My bridesmaid dress came in and {gasp} it won't zip all the way. So I have two months from today to get that fixed.

Here's to exercising!