Sunday, July 23, 2006

Clerks II

Opening night Ang and I were there. Us and a theater full of teenage boys. It was quite the crowd and quite the flick. Well written I have to say, Kevin Smith has a certain way with words that is true talent, and full of the usual crude, in very poor taste albeit very funny jokes we have come to expect from him. And the bit about the racial slurs - hilarious, really. You gotta see it to understand it.
I really loved the ending, how it all wrapped up and it was nice to see how these characters changed over the past 10 years.
All in all, worth my 8 bucks. Also, it's the first movie I've been to in a while where these 2 things happened: 1) I heard honest-to-goodness laugh out loud laughter throughout the film, including my own (didn't laugh hardly at all in The Devil Wears Prada) and 2) the audience applauded at the end of the movie, and a good portion of us stayed through the last of the credits - including the 30-something woman who sat, alone, in front of us in the theater.
However, I was bothered by one thing I did see (and not just Jay flashing the camera):
As the crowd filed out there were 2 boys who couldn't have been more than SEVEN walking out with what appeared to be their mothers. They had popcorn and soda and seemed to have enjoyed the film. I was sickened by this. As I said to Ang then, "I don't feel old enough to be seeing this movie." Sometimes I have to wonder what parents think. What adults in general think. This was not a movie for children, in my opinion. I can't imagine what these children will take away from this film.
Overall, a good experience. Ninety-seven minutes of laughter.

No comments: