Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Well, that was a day

We got up early this morning and when I say we, I really mean Ang who was up and at um at 5:20 am. I know, that's ridiculously early. But we start teaching, with real live kids, at 7:12 am and it's hard to get ready to do that with only 10 minutes prep so we went to school about 6 am. And then Ang decided she really wasn't feeling well so we took a little field trip to the ER via Urgent Care.

Yep, another round of a little game I like to call sit and wait and pray they figure things out quickly. But today went well and I was so proud of Ang for trusting her gut (and her head) and knowing she wasn't overreacting and needed to go to the doctor. She called both her primary care doc and her neurologist, neither of whom would see her (booked, whatever! boy do I miss Dr. Earl and the good old days where you'd call and they'd say, "Come in now," even if it was 5 pm).

She'd been feeling dizzy and had blurred vision and knew she needed to rule out some serious neurological issues and they finally did. There was a CAT scan involved and IV drugs and antibiotics and after all was said and done, turns out the sinus infection she had early in the month never went away and got way worse and her sinuses are almost completely blocked. Thus, the horrible pain when exercising or doing lots of other things.

So she's getting fixed up with the right meds and it only took 6 hours which isn't bad for the ER in my experience. And Yuma Regional Medical Center gets props in my book for customer service as well. I didn't have any cash on me - like I was literally counting dimes to pull some together. And I went to the coffee shop near the ER and of course, it was closed. So I finally got some pretzels (love debiting one whole dollar!) from the gift shop and a can of diet pepsi from the machine but I was still hungry yet not wanting to stray too far from Ang. And then these women arrived pushing a cart of sandwiches and juice. FREE FOOD! It was so great. By then it was 6:30 or so and lunch was long gone (on Wednesdays, early release at school, our lunch is at 10:45 which is ridiculously early). And the food wasn't just for patients, it was for families. At first I was hesitant, I mean it was a sandwich like you get out of the vending machines but then I said screw it, poured on the mustard and ate and it was GOOD. So that was a blessing. We went to Walgreen's after (Ang will blog on that I am sure, they forgot to include a prescription in her bag and we have to go back tomorrow - ugh!) and got home after 9 pm. Another long day. But a happy ending. Ang is not in mortal danger, I didn't have to run home for a scarf to cover her head (she kept asking me to promise to get her a scarf if they had to shave her head, yes yes, we've been watching too much House), and she's sleeping off the morphine soundly now. All's well that ends well....G'night!

2 comments:

brickmomma said...

i was sleeping rather soundly sans morphine. does it never end for you girls? poor things! how long til vacation?

Anonymous said...

I hope everyone is getting better. I think that Ang should start smoking medical grade mary jane :) haha She'd just be so numb she wouldn't have her other problems! It would be great to help with the school drama for you too! haha j/k