Tuesday, March 06, 2007

$87,000

$87,000 - the reported amount per week that several stars of Lost get paid. And they are complaining that they don't get to work enough and spend most of their time sitting on the Hawaiian beaches, waiting.
Seriously.
Oh, and then there's Zach Braff (whom I adore!) who's reportedly going to get $350,000 PER EPISODE for the 7th season of Scrubs. Now I love Scrubs but 7.7 million dollars for just the one actor! Come on. It's of absolutely no surprise that this is all my kids want to grow up to be - famous. Not even actors, just rich and famous. I want to be paid that kind of money for what I do. Don't we all? I mean really, I bring home about $11.25 an hour if I only work 40 hours a week. And that rarely happens. I need to write a script and fast.
Speaking of what I do, today was another 10 and 1/2 hour day. So we had pizza tonight, at Round Table, which was really good. And a big salad. And I was feeling guilty. But it was so good. And I didn't have to cook it or clean up (they serve on paper plates there - gotta love it!).
Tomorrow will be even longer, afterschool program then prepping for the big Yuma Plan Day observations on Friday. We're all on pins and needles. Can't wait 'till Saturday.

1 comment:

kathycfg said...

Sarah,

Yeah, see, I have a slightly different perspective. I say good for Zach Braff - not everybody can do what he does. He was obviously smart enough to get a good agent, perfect his craft (if anything is ever perfect) and then sell, sell, sell.

I think we should encourage kids who want to be famous to do it, but they better do it better than anyone else because if they don't live it, breathe it, and believe it, they haven't got a chance! It's like this.....it's estimated that 1/3 of Americans aspire to be connected to the entertainment industry. The average salary, according to the US DOL for an actor or actress in this country is only $33,450.00.

If you think about it that way, there are relatively few Jennifer Anistons (or Zach Braffs) and quite a lot more of your community thespians who have done some voiceover work or a commercial.

Are teachers, police, firefighters, EMS, nurses, sanitation, truckers, etc. underpaid - definitely. I think I will have made it big whether I make a feature film or Lifetime movie. Then again, aim lower can be a really dangerous message!

-K