Thursday, April 26, 2007

Happiness Cake

With the turkey burgers still frozen and no ready-made meals in the fridge, Ang decided to make Grandma's homeade waffles tonight. We both aren't feeling great (me = full-blown cold, her = sore throat) and she thought we needed this. So she went through her recipe box and handed me a card for Happiness Cake my mom had snuck in there sometime when she made the box for her.
It includes things like a heafty dose of prayer, 4 cups of self doubt, and spread it on with a smile. This was a good reminder today, especially after a very long Thursday. Not only did I start the day with a power struggle between myself and a rotten eighth grader but then I had a room full of detentions after school. And to top it all off I had to make 2 parent phones calls today and the second one resulted in finding out a kid had forged a parent signature, and he had already gotten detention while in detention today (chewing gum while in detention - brilliant!). And I had to deal with this online class stuff tonight so we missed yoga but anyway, the Happiness Cake recipe reminded me that I do have a lot to be happy about:
- As I was leaving school one of my students who'd recently been suspended was getting picked up after a football game and his mom flagged me down to thank me, I'd been the only teacher who'd supplied him with homework assignments during his suspension like she'd requested. I was happy to tell her she had a good kid and he'd already pulled his grade up to a B. Something to be really happy about.
- I work with some people who watch out for me and have my back when I need it most (like when I forget about bus duty because of all the detentions and then there's a fight out there, on my watch - luckily my team leader knew I had detentions so she was out there, yay!).
- I have an awesome sister who makes me homemade waffles while I get to rest on the couch!
- I have a new baby cousin - Olivia, who I get to visit in July!!!!
- My online class is going pretty well so far even though it's a lot of busy work. My virtual group seems ready to work and my teacher has complimented several of my discussion question answers already!
- My kids are making poetry books and are enjoying it, thus I don't have any discipline problems in class really this week. That makes a huge difference in my day.
- Tomorrow the social studies department at school is throwing a salad bar lunch for the whole staff! Yay for free, healthy lunch!
- I am employed, I am (relatively) healthy, I am loved by many, and I am blessed beyond belief. I guess I have a whole lot to be happy about:-)

No comments: