Sunday, April 08, 2007

The many sides of Easter

As I sat in church this morning looking around at the kids in spiffy clothes, the ladies with their hats on, the family members who seemed a little uncomfortable, I got to thinking about all the Easters I've had in my life and how I'm fortunate I grew up with both sides of Easter meshed into one.
First there was the side that required me to get the big pink foamy curlers put into my hair on Saturday night and sleep, uncomfortably, in them all night long and wake up early for the tearing out session that was usually started by mom and ended by dad when mom had to go get dressed or something. Then there was the new dress or new shoes (sandals some years but it was usually too cold to wear them) or occasionally a new hat. This was very important as Easter is about newness. And it was fun to dress up extra special on this day.
Then there was the dying of eggs, which got even more fun the older we got. I especially remember times with cousin Doris who's about 10 years older than me, and the incident which resulted in her having to put her hands on her head and leave them there.
Then there was the Easter baskets that my mom had made us, filled with treats from the Easter bunny. But nothing ever beat the Easter I got a real little brown, lop-eared rabbit in my basket: Charlie! The best Easter present ever. And the story's almost as good: how mom announced to dad that she was getting him for us, how her dad kept him alive over the cold night in the barn, and then the years that he was a part of our family (even being carried, cage and all, downstairs into the basement during tornadoes).
Then there's the other side of Easter - the part that stays with me just as much. The part that rushed back this morning as we sung He Lives and chanted "He is risen indeed!" I am so thankful that my parents gave me both of those Easters growing up. Because while I know the one is full of memories and great family love, the other is Jesus and his gift of eternal love. I could never and can never ask for anything more.

3 comments:

Angela said...

dying of eyes, I don't recall that...

brickmomma said...

What a great way to combine the two sides.....I loved reading your blog! And He lives!

Anonymous said...

Just to be clear - I didn't do anything - it just happened that way! Belated Happy Easter kiddo.