Friday, September 12, 2008

News from the city

Well, not a lot of news but I felt like blogging. Today was a busy day for me. Trash day which means coordinating 3 cans, cars on the street, etc. Yeah, it's exciting here in Hollywood. Also I made the trek to Walmart which is about a half hour drive from here. They have some stuff I can't get at the local store and it's cheaper so we plan on going there once or twice a month. I stocked up and made it home in about 2 hours which wasn't bad I figured.

Last night Ang and I went to church to the fellowship dinner. It wasn't what we expected but it turned out to be a good experience. Apparently the dinner's usually for parents/kids who are in choir which meets at 6:30. After an awkward beginning we got a chance to talk to the assistant pastor's wife for a while, then him, then the senior pastor who blew me away by knowing Angela and I by first name. I was impressed because I'd never introduced myself to her but I did join the church's facebook page which she has apparently been checking out which I thought was really cool. So we had a good pasta/salad/fresh strawberries dinner for $3 and headed home. Stopped at Pinkberry on the way to treat ourselves to a HUGE bowl (Thursday is last day to use WW flex points!) and headed home. So overall good day.

Also, I have an interview Monday. It's at an elementary school about 5 miles from here to work as a Teachers' Assistant. Not sure what that means yet, and not sure if it'll be full-time with good pay (which means I could accept) but I figured I'd check it out. Monday 10am, good thing I bought that new suit last weekend! I got 2 more emails back about jobs but both are part-time and just not enough money right now to justify taking interviews. I know God has the perfect place for me to be so I'll try and be patient a little longer.

On the upside, I've been writing A LOT. Got another section of the novel well underway. This one is from a father's perspective and I'm finding it interesting to stretch in a new direction. Also in doing some research I've been reading blogs by parents of deployed soldiers and a lot about Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome so that's been very interesting. Also been practicing introducing myself as a writer. I got a new book last weekend, How I Write by Janet Evanovich (who writes the Stephanie Plum mystery books which if you haven't read yet, run out and get!!! And if you live in Howell, visit the library at my parents' house and borrow the first few - we're all reading them and loving them!) and in it she says to own your career, your work. So I tried it last night when I introduced myself and someone asked me what I did, I said, "I'm a writer." So yeah, working on that!

Tonight Ang and I are going out to dinner and to a movie with a new friend from church, Emily. She moved here about a week before us, to be an actress and she goes to our church. I'll keep you updated on that:-)

Oh, Ang and I have been walking in the neighborhoods around our house and Tuesday afternoon we went north which is a little more affluent area (rumor has it that's where some of the old LA money is) and we came across 2 little kids out with their caregiver. The boy was maybe 3 and on a little push scooter. He was too cute. He drove past us and I commented to him that he was really fast. He said thank you very much and then proceeded to hang out with us for a while. He would whiz past us and then fall behind. At one point we'd heard him yelling for about a block and finally turned around to realize he was yelling at us to "Wait up guys!" He wanted to know if we were going to the same place he was, his friend's house. We laughed and said no, said hello to the caregiver, and smiled. Too cute!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great blogs. It keeps me in tune. I just started book three so people can borrow. Guess I'd better read a little faster or more. love and hugs mom