Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The lunch bunch

Yesterday it was 102 degrees in Hollywood. On October 7th. I don't understand either. There used to be a time when I wished for snow on my birthday (yes, in Michigan but I'm making a point) and my wish sometimes came true. This didn't happen in the past ten years or so. From what the west coasters tell me, this is unusual weather. I think it's Yuma but that's just me...

So on to the lunch bunch - I went to Homeless Lunch yesterday and helped out and was reminded, once again, of why I go. Really, it's as much for me as the people I help. To be a sense of community, to say hello to familiar faces and smile at new ones. To sneak some extra crackers in the bag of a young guy or help a woman pick out a shirt that will fit. And the folks there are beginning to recognize me too. Yesterday one of the regulars who has come every week desperately seeking pants that fit him (all of ours have been too big or too small) finally found something manageable. It was great to see him come back twenty minutes later wearing clean jeans and a clean t-shirt. But what was even better was having a conversation with him about the Methodist church and how we're not Catholic (the building looks like it could very well be a cathedral) and he doesn't have to wear a suit and tie to come on Sundays. That was pretty cool.

Also, some of the folks are opening up around me, one suggested we pray for a missing friend so we stood in a circle and let him lead us. Another searched through all the books to find the he thought I needed - How to Find the Perfect Husband. People are so thoughtful!

All in all, another good experience complimented by the chance to chat with some new friends from the church congregation. I'm a pretty blessed girl.

No comments: