Sunday, October 05, 2008

So many new things

Well, going to school at UCLA was definitely a new thing this week. Also, on Tuesday Ang and I helped out at Homeless Lunch and afterwards our friend Sean took us on a whirlwind tour of the city. We had lunch at Canter's deli, which apparently, is pretty famous. And yes Sean, the rye bread there is awesome! Then we stopped by the West Hollywood library where we picked up donated books for Homeless Lunch. Then we headed over to Westwood where we finally found (now inside Lazer Blazer) Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash!!! Yeah, I was pretty excited because as some of you know, I'm a pretty big Kevin Smith fan. It was a decent video store, had a bunch of comics and memorabilia and some things from the filming of his movies which I had a great time looking at.

On the way home we stopped by a Philly bar(NOTE: this is a correction, originally I labeled it a New Jersey bar but apparently it's not, I was mistaken because of the Tastycakes, which are referenced in the books set in New Jersey. There - are we square Sean?!?!) (where I learned what a hoagie really is) and Sean bought us a bag of Tastycakes. Yes, it's true, they are not a figment from Janet Evanovich's mind. Those convenience store treats Stephanie Plum eats by the bag full? They're real. And yes, we ate them all that night. And yes, we'd already had treats we'd picked up at the huge bakery just inside Canter's (I got to have a black-and-white cookie and it was delicious! Though I'd mostly wanted it because of the Seinfeld episode!) And yes, I blew my points this week but I didn't care.

The rest of the week was pretty quiet - in fact this weekend we didn't go anywhere, per Ang's request. We holed up and watched some TV, read, I wrote, washed our cars in the driveway and I made stew and pumpkin pie. It was cold on Saturday (yeah, 66 is cold after a week of 100 degree weather) and it was nice to just hang out. Today though was a different story, after church I went to the Hollywood Farmers' Market with Pauley, Michael, and our friend Angela's twin sixth graders Kurt and Nancy. Angela was home sick so Kurt and Nancy hung out with us and we had a great time. I got to try some fresh mozzarella cheese, hear some very cool street music, smell some homemade soaps, discuss pre-algebra, and wander through Border's for a good long while.

Oh! I almost forgot! Another celebrity sighting! We ran into Ron Livingston (of Office Space fame) while at the Market. It totally took me back to college/Wesley when we watched that movie over and over.

So another week done, another one to start. I'm excited for classes and whatever else the week will bring! Oh, and cooler weather!!!

1 comment:

brickmomma said...

you are so in your element!!!

I love it!

And I love you-