Sunday, August 13, 2006

Another country

Today is the first time I've felt out of place, like I am living in a foreign land. Mind you I technically live in the United States. But I do live in a border city. I know this and I knew some of what to expect. But it's still crazy to me that when I go to Walmart, hearing English is rare. Today I was standing at the register and I didn't hear a word of English until the woman waiting on me said hello. She'd had a lengthy conversation with the woman in front of me in line, in Spanish. I got a hello and a thank you. You know, it's fine really, but it's just that I don't feel like I belong at times. I feel like because I don't speak their language or because I'm the white girl, I am an outsider. I know I am but it's still odd to me.
We went to Mexico Friday night and I didn't even feel like this there - there I expect it. I'm in another country. I don't expect to hear English.
I've also been introduced to this culture shock at school, particulary a lesson in cholos. Cholo is the word for Mexican gangster or gangbanger. And because I'm a white girl, I apparently shouldn't really say Cholo (though Shannon does and this makes me laugh! The white Irish Catholic from Wisconsin calling out Cholos in her class - but I suppose marrying a Mexican gives her the cred needed).
We have wannabe Cholos and real Cholos, in seventh grade. Yeah - welcome to our life.
So that's all I wanted to say - I got annoyed at first but there's nothing I can do about it. But it really pisses me off when there are billboards in MY neighborhood that I can't read because they're in Spanish. Guess I'd better get some Berlitz tapes;-)

No comments: