Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Another day in seventh grade

It's been a busy few days since I last posted. We're having fun, that's for sure. We've had 3 tests in 4 days and we're gearing up for the big collection test on Thursday (it's a unit test, covering everything we've learned since school started from the textbook). My kids are a bit nervous, as they should be, and I am too. I had about half my students fail their first test last week and about half of those stay after school the last 2 days to retake it. Good news though - almost all of them got As on the retest! Woohoo! Our hard work is paying off.
But I've decided I really really really do not like staying after school. The bell rings at 3:57 and they have to be back in my room by 4. Then the activities bus doesn't come until 5:25. That's a long time to be after school. Luckily today everyone had an alternate ride home so they left a little earlier but still - no fun! After a long day it was a long afternoon.
I had a parent meeting last week where the parents yelled in Spainish for a while, so I guess I need to brush up on that in my spare time. Oh yeah - and I had my first evaluation today.
In our district they have the T4S form, Teach 4 Success. It's a 20-minute evaluation and you are graded on what's up in your room, what you are teaching, how you do it, etc. My principal surprised me today in 4th period by coming in and taking a seat. I was pretty nervous but luckily we were doing a great activity that involved all the students, discussion, me drawing plot graphs on the board, and them periodically standing and sitting depending on their level of understanding. When she got up to leave she said I was a natural and I did great so that was reassuring. Especially for my first time!
Tomorrow I have meetings both before and after school, this is my least favorite part of the job, my most favorite is being in the classroom with the kids talking and learning. Today we learned about putting things in context and that words have multiple meanings.
Along with all of that today we had our first lockdown drill. Teachers knew it was coming but we didn't know when exactly. My class did very well and I did too, though I was a bit nervous. I have very important responsibilities when the announcement comes over the PA for teachers to secure their classrooms. I have to go out into the hall (potentially in the line of fire) and lock my door, pull down and fasten my makeshift door window shade, shut the blinds, turn off the light, and get my kids (silently) into the corner of the room, seated. It went well today though, only a few giggles and cracked knuckles on their part. I stood sternly over them with my arms crossed and afterwards reminded them that we all could be in danger when that happens and my life is on the line too. Can't wait for the earthquake drill.
Ok - it's off to bed, tomorrow's our short day of classes, as Wednesdays are early release days (2:28 instead of 3:57) so us teachers can go to even more meetings, and we're going to the library! Woohoo, our first "field trip".

1 comment:

Laura said...

I hate to ask, but it sounds like lockdown drill is in case someone is shooting - is that true? Yikes! I recall tornado drills, and sitting in a line near the bathroom at Southeast Elementary with my hands over my head (why we were by the bathroom I have no idea). What the world has come to!