Sunday, August 06, 2006

The weekend

Ohmygosh. It has been a whirlwind. We had open house Friday morning. I met a TON of kids and their parents. And their grandparents. And their aunts. And their siblings. And their siblings friends. And their puppies. I am not making this up.
I had mothers who couldn't understand anything I said but hello. I had families already wanting conferences with me. I had kids who overachieve. Kids who are busybodies. Kids who are not well. Kids who need glasses. Kids who are writing books. Kids who don't read well. Kids who can't be quiet or sit still. And all of this is just what people told me about their kids.
Friday was also payday. A joyous occassion - until I realized that I really still don't make enough to live off of. The 200 dollar savings I thought I'd tuck away every month - it is now 20 bucks. And the minimums are still only being met on payments. Sometimes life doesn't change very much.
Then Friday night we went on base and were the "experts" for the SemperFit Friday night activity - scrapbooking. A bunch of military wives getting a night out. It was fun, and crazy to be considered experts but they were sweet and funny and gave us cookies!
Then Saturday we worked at school some more, it never ends - and I mean this literally. There is always something more to do. Then we decided to go with Shannon on a little road trip. To Phoneix. At 4:30. To buy "professional" work clothes per the new mandate by our boss. No more tank tops. No more casual. It's professional attire now. So we hopped in the car and went. Not realizing that the trip is really 3 hrs. So we had 2 hrs to shop once we got there and then headed home. But it was a great ride, great conversation, lots of fun. Stopping at the Waffle House, to see it full of scary looking men and leaving before even shutting off the car. Then stopping in Gila Bend at 12:30 am for hot fudge sundaes. Good times!
Then there was today. A very long day. We got home at 2am yet made it to church at 10! Then we did some grocery shopping - Ang's favorite store, Walmart! Then we went back to school. For 5 and 1/2 hrs. I wrote out a 5 page lesson plan for TOMORROW. Yeah. Haven't even touched Tuesday. And the copier is broken. Never fails. But here's the cutest thing.
As we were leaving tonight it was about 8 o'clock, just dusk. And there was this boy and his father walking around the outside of the school. The dad asked us if the schedules were still posted on the windows. We said no but come back tomorrow and they will be. He told us they would. The little boy looked so scared. He had his notebook with him and his dad's arm around him. It was just too cute. He is getting ready for middle school. Just like me.
In my classroom I framed this and posted it just inside the door. It's our classroom motto:
Breathe deep and jump in.
That's what I'll do...in seven hours!
Goodnight:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah. Well I hope everything is going smoothly for you right now. I also hope things slow down a bit. Have fun on your first real day of middle school. You are going to be great. Tell Angela I say hi.
And my sister says hi to you both. Keep on bloggin'