Saturday, August 19, 2006

The Plague part 2

I am still not feeling well. I am determined not to let it get me down but it's hard not to be upset when your stomach is;-) Ah well - I've decided that instead of injections they should just send people who need to be immunized to seventh grade for a few months and nothin' will touch them then.
We had open house this Thursday, it went well - I had a whole script worked out, 2 pages and I went through it 3 times. Our students' families followed their schedules for the night. I was anticipating open houses like I'd been to when I was younger but this was very different. I had 14 parents over the course of the whole night. Not exactly standing room only. But I figure work with what you have! And we did.
My kids are reading "Rikki-tikki-tavi" by Rudyard Kipling right now, it's about snakes and mongooses and little birds who all talk to each other - not exactly my favorite type of story but they seem to be enjoying that. And they all passed their spelling tests yesterday which rocks!
I am really enjoying my time in the classroom with them, really. I thought I would be terrified and not know what to do but I am surprising myself. I am confident with the kids, I discipline them in what I think is an effective manner and fairly, and I think they are learning stuff. Though we still are working on what constitutes a noun and what doesn't. Things move a lot slower in seventh grade than I imagined.
Ok, it's back to hanging out in Ang's comfy bed. We're watching Entourage right now, the HBO show. It's pretty funny. Gotta love lazy Saturday afternoons. It's too hot to go outside so we're using the excuse to lay around!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading Rikki-Tikki-Tavi in seventh grade lit. All that I remember was that it was about a mongoose. :-) I hope you're feeling better. --Sus