Thursday, February 08, 2007

One of the good days

Today was a day I needed. A good day. A day when everything went well in class and the kids seemed to get it and I was enjoying it.
I was supposed to be evaluated today by my boss, the vice principal. But he had a death in the family and had to reschedule for next week. Even though we're not supposed to put on a "dog and pony show" when the administration comes into our rooms, we all do and I am no exception. We've had a lot of profession development classes lately on how to be better teachers: writing and sharing our objectives with the kids, key vocabulary, instructional design, etc. And while it sometimes seems like a waste of time, today it all came together. I had planned a very formal lesson, scripted from a workbook on the 6 traits of writing, for my eval. And I decided to continue on with it despite the fact that no one but the kids would be watching. And I'm glad it did. Today was descriptive writing, learning to use the thesaurus and synonyms. And it went so well. It took almost our whole 2 hour block but I had the kids discussing, writing notes, using their books, talking about words, finding new words to use when insulting each other, it was GREAT. Today is what I believe teaching is all about.
And then afterschool I had tutoring. I ended up with one of my kids and 2 of Angela's and it went so so well. I was almost giddy afterwards. I got to talk through a tough story with one of my girls and help her raise her test score from a D to an A+. I got to walk one of Ang's boys through a test on cacao beans and forest fires and have fun in the process. I got to help another of Ang's boys write a creation myth that he seemed excited to write (well he always seems excited, he is ADD but anyway, he was at least writing!). And I had a girl in detention for gum chewing who told me, unprompted, that she had learned her lesson. So I let her skip the punishment section after a few minutes and make up a test she'd missed.
So yeah, all in all, a good day.
And on a side note (or a birdwalk as they call it here, we call them tangents where I come from) - I was thinking today as I watched my kids work and talked with them all day about words, what will these kids be like when they are grown ups. Won't they be something. To think, I only get to know them for a little while. They're still kids. They've only just begun. They are just starting. But in a few years, it would be interesting to find out who they become. Because they're going to be some pretty cool adults. But it's just crazy that I only get to see them for this moment. For now. So I am appreciating that today. I am enjoying being with each of them. With the girl who writes "Miss Knapp is the best" on her white erase board. With the boy who waves at me every single time he sees me. With the boy who was so angry when I gave him 2 detentions but found Angela every day I was out sick to tell her he'd been behaving for the subs. With the girl who reminded me today that her mom and I were both born in 1977. With the girl who, every time we hear a song by 'The Fray' (on announcements and Channel One usually), yells, "Miss Knapp, it's your favorite band" (say something one time and they never forget it. With the boy who's decided Angela is now Mrs. Brown (Mr. Brown is the math teacher down the hall Ang has a very contemptuous relationship with) and they honeymooned over Christmas break. With the girl who asks my permission to wear her new shirt with writing on it to school the next day.
This is all just from today. I am truly amazed at all the happens in my world on an hourly basis. How many thoughts and individuals I come into contact with. And how each of them affects me. And how I affect them. How they seem to crave my attention and at the same time defy me regularly. Even the good ones. It's astonishing. I am so grateful for this experience. So grateful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog today. -Sus

brickmomma said...

I am so glad you are a teacher.....and that you had a great day to make it seem worth it. You are going to be a superb momma someday!!
I love you~jamee

Anonymous said...

From one teacher to another - thanks Sarah - I needed that. I'm glad that you had a great day.