Monday, May 15, 2006

Goodbye Mr. President

Last night was the series finale of The West Wing - a show I have been devoted to for the past seven years. Seven years. Since 1999. Let's just think about that. These characters and their world have been a part of my life since I lived in Olivet. Since before 9/11. They were a part of my Wednesdays before I owned a DVD player (not a lot of people owned them back then). I swore I'd buy a DVD player when/if they released WW on DVD. I now own seasons 1-4 (the good years). And a DVD player:-)
Last night as soon as Mallory handed CJ the box I said to my dad, it's the napkin. I know their stories, I know their world. I've read the scripts, own the mug, and I've seen the episodes hundreds of times. Fanatical is the word you're looking for.
But it's an amazing piece of pop history. Of writing. Of culture. Of entertainment. And I will miss the Bartlett administration and my president. A romantic world that wasn't always perfect. People died. People got hurt. Mistakes were made. Leaks covered up. Troops sent to war. Change around every corner. But it was an honest world. A world where the people tried to do the right thing. And managed to sound witty and intelligent while doing it. I will miss that. We certainly don't have that here in the real world. Exhibit A is taking over primetime tonight while I watch the WW finale again on Bravo in the background.
I'm still amazed how much Martin Sheen can convey by signing his name or putting down a pen. That's acting. That's amazing.
And don't get me started on Charlie crying.
I will miss these friends of mine, this world.
Goodbye Mr. President.

7 comments:

Tani said...

hi. i read your blog and i was wondering if i can link my blog to yours. i'm just an amateur blogger, and i need help how to do that, that is if you'll allow me to do so. i would like to add your blog as a link because i think you'll be a published writer soon. ;) if you get the chance, pls visit my blog and let me know what you think. thanks.

Angela said...

I am with you baby, I was in high school when I met them! It was very sad but now we have another good year for the archives.

Anonymous said...

you are such a writer!! i am looking forward to our summer visit, woohooooooo.......i need SOMETHING to look forward to ;)
love you!! jamee

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»