Sunday, March 26, 2006

Bird by Bird...

There are so many things I want to blog about I'm not sure where to start. But as Anne Lamott says, "Take it bird by bird," so here goes:
As I drive to school on Sundays, downtown, there is always a group of peace demonstrators (do we call them protestors anymore...if someone knows the PC term of the day, please fill me in ) standing on the sidewalk. They have their signs: "Jobs not bombs," "Honk for peace," "Bring our troops home," etc. And I wonder, as I drive by and see them smiling, what it is they think they are accomplishing. I'm not saying I'm for bombs or war or not bringing our troops home but I wonder what protesting like this actually accomplishes. But it's a big thing for these people, they are out every Sunday, rain or shine, and even last Saturday on the main drag in town, there were hundreds then, there are usually just 40 or so on any given Sunday.
Maybe I just wasn't born in that era or I'm not that type of political mind. I wonder if they wouldn't accomplish just as much by walking down and praying at the Catholic church that's always letting out at the same time.
Is it enough to raise social consciousness? Couldn't they be doing something instead? My grandma talks about WWII and how she sold war bonds and rolled bandages and worked at the canteen on the weekends to keep up the spirit of those wounded who would come to the hospital in Jackson. I just wonder how protesting accomplishes anything. Maybe it does. I don't know.
So that's my thought on that subject. Moving on....
It's been a good week. And - drumroll please....I've completed 21 pages of my novel, almost 11,000 words. It's about 1/6 of the way done if you look at length. And I'm excited by it. And others are too which is more exciting:-) I can't wait for you all to read it in hard cover. (And if you ask really nice I might let you skim it for free now!).
Alrighty - I am off to watch some Crossing Jordan and eat cookies and milk (3 of my 1 point cookies that rock!). Night all:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How awesome to have 21 pages of your novel completed! "Take it bird by bird" or in your case page by page and you will be done with it before you know it!