Saturday, March 25, 2006

Failure to keep me occupied

Sarah's movie review for the day. (Because I know you all care so much!)
I saw Failure to Launch last night, the romantic comedy with Matthew McConaughey and Sarah Jessica Parker. It was cute, it had all the right ingredients (trust me, I checked them off on my little screenwriter's 7-beats list), and had some funny moments. But it was just an okay movie. Who I really liked were the supporting cast, and I see this more as a trend lately. Sarah Jessica's roommate was hilarious in the movie, as were Matthew's friends. I even liked the parents, Terry Bradshaw and Kathy Bates and thought the screen lit up a little more when they were in the scene. And I thought Matthew's nephew in the movie was adorable, and I secretly applauded the use of an African American actor in this role within a sea of white faces with blond hair. Another notch for colorblind casting.
But something in the movie failed to move me, to make me sit up and pay attention, to drag me into their world. As with most romantic comedies, we already know the ending before the beginning credits roll so that's not the problem. But something was missing. So if any of you have seen it and want to comment, I'd love to hear. But it was a cute movie, with some good jokes, and some slapstick which is never a bad thing. So spend you $3.50 or $6.00 or $8.25 and you tell me what it's all about!

No comments: