Friday, March 03, 2006

I am in Yuma! I made it - finally:-) It only took 11 hours! To begin there was an ice storm Wed. night in Detroit which meant that the plane I was flying out on Thurs. morning had to be de-iced. My plane and every other plane at Metro. So we were an hour and a half late departing. Which meant I got to my connecting plane's gate 5 minutes after the doors had closed. And the next flight to Yuma was over weight limit so I had to get on the 5:15 flight. And that got me into Yuma at 6:30. And then Angela wasn't there! (I felt like rubbing this in for her, because she was having a hen party at the time). But she came and got me and we had dinner with Jennifer and Shannon, two very sweet girls who teach with Ang.
So my 6 hrs in Phoneix was pretty uneventful, though I did read a whole book (The Interruption of Everything by Terry McMillian - not a bad story, dialogue was a little stiff in my opinion but an easy, fast moving read), ate a $9 caesar salad, induldged in a strawberries and creme frappacino from Starbucks, and ate some pretzels with a few york peppermint patties. What is it about airports that encourage eating?!?! I also met a woman from Colorado who'd been in Maine getting a knee replacement and people watched - a lot.
So I made it here and hung out with Angela's friends and we went bowling last night, well she bowled, I watched and talked with her friends. They are pretty cool - Richard the computer teacher was especially funny.
And then I passed out - it had been a long day and I am sure I was asleep before I closed my eyes.
Then this morning, neither of us really wanted to get up but we did and as I was getting in the shower - boom! The power went off. It stayed off about 1/2 hour which was crazy. I told Ang I was practicing in case I ever went blind (remember my incident this fall with the hydrochloric acid in the eye - you never know!) and showered anyway. Then it came on - whew! I had no idea what to do today if I couldn't dry my hair. So that was the story of the morning:-)
Then we got to school - Crane Middle School. Quite a place. It's huge and immediately I began to feel like an animal at the zoo. Stares and pointing and whispering. And they are so funny! They think Ang and I are twins and they think she's older (which I think is great). Then they want to know about Miss Knapp (Ang) and they tell me things like when she's mad she makes a hampster face:-) And they like to tease her. A lot.
We brought them cookies and they were very excited about them, I even got hugs. And they are loud, and crazy, and way too loud, and swear and say kid things, and look too old and too little and crazy:-)
It's been awesome to meet them all - the kids I've been hearing about for 6 months. And the teachers, Angela's friends. I think it's so cool to see how life is in middle school. It's so different from when I was here. And to hear their Spainish and watch them laugh and see them cry (we're in a parent meeting right now with a girl) and hit each other and giggle at the boys and the girls).
Well enough ramblings for now. Keep reading. I can't tell you how excited I am to have all of you make comments. That's awesome! Keep writing, you all rock!
Tonight we're headed to base, for beer and bingo, or so I'm told. The buzz is that a new pilot's going to be at the officer's club tonight, who's call sign is "Dream". Should be an interesting night:-)
More later - if I come back from Mexico!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I love reading your blog. It's like having your insight in my head. And I totally agree with you about the Grey's Anatomy stuff. It is with out a doubt my favorite show. Enjoy Yuma! Sus