Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Answers to those burning questions

I love comments! Thanks for reading and writing guys!!!! In response to Rick - I too like the new format, and didn't know until setting up my dad's blog that you could have titles. I'm still working on going back and giving other posts titles but I think it's fun!
As for the office hours thing - Angela, I've never had a student cry in office hours. In class, yes. 2 that I can recall offhand. And both were boys. One was a student who cheated (stole most of his paper off the internet) and the other was a student who missed the deadline for turning in a research paper. But I like to think my office hours aren't that bad!
I did go to office hours when I was in school. At Olivet I went to Wally's a lot. I think I had to - he'd make us come in for questions and to discuss if we were going to miss his class. And I was always missing his class because it was in the afternoons when they would always schedule golf matches. Wally was my communication professor at Olivet - my one and only communication professor. I didn't think he liked me at first, especially when I missed all those classes. But with a comm major, we got to know each other pretty well after that. At Western I went to a lot of office hours. I spent hours in Maria's office trying to learn stats. Many of us did. I spent time with Melissa talking about culture and the newness of graduate work for us and how to be a better teacher (her office was down the hall from the T.A. office and she was well intuned to all we did). I also remember some profs making you come, to get papers or to talk about things. But maybe that's because it was grad school. And those of us on campus all the time liked it, it was a way we got to know more about the people who were teaching us, we formed bonds others didn't have. And those who were not full-time students knew that and would complain, saying we could stop in and talk to profs whenever we wanted and we agreed. That was great.
If I could have my own office at school I'd make it big and roomy with lots of books, a TV, and couches and chairs. But I don't. I have to settle for a classroom and let me tell you - those work just fine for talking with your teacher as well!

2 comments:

Sarah Knapp said...

Sarah we will see how many people read your blog today Proud of you
Love you mom

Sarah Knapp said...

Sarah we will see how many people read your blog today Proud of you
Love you mom