Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Bubba Joe speaks

Tonight is the beginning of a new quarter for me at one of my schools. I'll start teaching a 10-week public speaking course that will run through the first week of June. It's exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. I always get a bit nervous before a first day, I guess that's okay. A friend said today it shows that I still care which is a good thing:-)
So I'll join the commuters and get in my car in a few moments and head out on the open road. I don't really mind driving (I'd certainly rather be home but since that's not an option tonight I'll drive). It's nice to be in the quiet, to listen to music or books on tape or nothing at all. I get a lot of writing done in the car, which seems odd but often times whole scenes will play out in my head, with the music quietly playing in the background. It comes organically to me in that way. I like to think of it as arranging the pieces, like Virginia Woolf did ("Arrange whatever pieces come your way.").
Writing is going well - I am working on Patricia's story. It's funny because I realized, in writing her part of the tale, that she's Patricia to everyone except her husband. To Frances, she's Patty. Nicknames are interesting things. We get them most often whether we want them or not. And we can't shake them. I have several - SarahBera, Bubba Joe, etc. And they aren't always flattering (gosh - who wouldn't love to be called Bubba Joe?!?!? - thanks Low-be-san!).
So that's my thought for the day. Now I'm off to school, to start what will be the last of my college classes for a while! Oh - don't forget, new Lost tonight! WooHoo!

No comments: