Sunday, April 30, 2006

A realization

I had a realization today - I am actually going to teach seventh grade. Seventh graders. Twelve year olds, a bunch of them, in a room, alone, with me, every day. At least I think they're twelve. This is not a new thought - I got my contract for my new job on Friday and that was exciting and I have to read it through tomorrow but it hadn't hit me I think. Then yesterday Tracy (one of my college roommates who came to visit for the weekend - yay!) and I went to the used bookstore in the bottom of the library and I got seven books for my classroom library (for a total of $4!). But it still hadn't hit me, until today. I went to the Teachers' Center because I had a 30% off coupon just for today and wanted to use it. I began wandering around and started to get overwhelmed, there are so many books and I really just began feeling like I wasn't sure how to go about this. I saw a teacher there I knew, and she was very sweet and encouraging (and surprised me by buying me a copy of The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown (of Goodnight Moon fame) so I could have my students write "The important thing..." poems. But I was sitting there on the floor just being very overwhelmed. I did end up with a book, The New Teacher's Complete Sourcebook - Middle School, so I guess that's a start. I'll begin reading it this week when I get all my research papers and finals graded.
But I guess that's it for today, I'm fine now but just getting anxious and knowing I have SO MUCH to learn, I'm not even sure how to process it all.

No comments: